Welcome to Harris Township!

Harris Township was named after Joseph Harris, the first known white man to build a log cabin in present-day Elmore. He traded with the Ottawa Indians and died in 1820.
—Elmore 100 Years by Newell P. Witte

Originally a part of Sandusky County, Harris Township was formed from sections of Portage and Sandusky Townships in 1825. The first meeting was held on the first Monday of April at the home of Israel Harrington (1779-1841). Harrington was a tavern owner, land speculator, minister, justice of the peace, and an associate judge of the circuit court. He and other pioneers are credited with transforming the Black Swamp into productive farmland.

The initial size of the township included current areas of Harris, Benton, Allen and Clay Townships, sections of Washington and Woodville Townships, and extended to Lake Erie. In 1840 Ottawa County was created. Other townships were formed and Harris Township’s present boundaries were stabilized in 1852.
—Elmore Ohio A History Preserved by Grace Luebke



Harris Township encompasses 28.4 square miles in the southwest corner of Ottawa County. Included in its boundaries is the Village of Elmore. Grades 7-12 of the Woodmore School District are located in Elmore. Materion Brush Beryllium & Composites is a major employer. On the banks of the Portage River, is Schedel Arboretum which welcomes visitors to tour its spectacular gardens. An extensive local genealogical collection is housed in the Grace Luebke Room of the Harris-Elmore Public Library.


Click on map to enlarge

 

 


   

Announcements | Officials and Supervisors | Meetings | Fire Department | Zoning | Cemetery | Township Services

Recycling | Junk Disposal | Drainage | Home Page

Website Management: Administrative Resource and Services / Glenn Sasscer